Monday, June 28, 2010

Buh-bye Diapers

If you're my friend on facebook, you may have seen a little shout out to Hudson using the potty. If not, then I've got big news...we are diaper free in the Hollis House!! He's been in big boy undies for a week and a day today. I didn't want to say anything before the week was up for fear of jinxing it. The transition went incredibly smooth--so much easier than I ever expected. I know its way early in the game and we can back slide, but for now things are going great.

He's shown an interest in the potty for a few months, but he just didn't seem to know when he had to go. He would always tell me after the deed was done and then he would ask me to change him.

My first big clue that he might be ready was when he started waking up dry in the mornings and from nap. I bought "Potty Training for Dummies" and it was pretty informative. It said signs you should look for are: staying dry for at least two hours, showing big interest in the potty, asking you to change them when the are dirty/wet, and knowing the difference between #1 and #2. We'd reached all those milestones so I decided while he's out of school for the summer it was a good time to start. Now he can start to school diaper free in the fall!

We went cold turkey--no pull ups, no diapers and potty every hour. He's only had three accidents in 8 days and those happened when he was getting in trouble, there was some chaos going on, and the first trip out of the house. The first day I asked repeatedly if he needed to go. By day two he told us when he needed to go.

The first several days he was a little confused about the whole number #2 thing--he couldn't decide if he wanted to try it in the potty or put a diaper on, but today we've mastered that as well. I'm so proud! ...and I will not miss the diapers. I think we just got a pay raise!!


Any words of advice I have for those who haven't started the training of the John include:
  • I suggest training them directly on the big potty if they're not intimidated by it. Its so much easier for you--MUCH LESS CLEAN UP. Its not a fun job having to dump and clean the baby potty, but let's face it: you're a mom and you've done all kinds of gross things up to this point. Hudson is tee tee-ing on the big potty, but the other business he seems to be more comfy on the little one. Yay for me. Ha!
  • Read your child and when they might be ready. Don't compare them to everyone else' kid. They all develop at their own pace. You'll know when they're ready.
  • Give your boys a chance standing up. They may be more accurate than you give them credit for.
  • Pull-ups seem to be confusing. Its just like a diaper without velcro.
  • Make a big deal out of everything--the undies, every time they at least try to go--everything!!
  • A little bribery never hurt anyone. Ha! Actually we didn't bribe, but we gave rewards for successful potty trips and good tries.
  • Kids are like sponges. They soak everything up and learn so quickly! They adjust more easily than we do I think. I was more afraid of him using the potty than he was!




Every guy needs some reading material to help get the job done! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you didn't use pull ups! I think they just prolong the process. I've potty trained many kids in nearly a decade of working at the daycare and I just hate the pull ups. I hope when Gavin is ready, I can just take a week off work and get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute! it was such an easy thing to potty train trace... hoping it's that easy for lucas soon! congrats lil H. and his momma! :) no more diapers- hooray!

    ReplyDelete