Monday, March 22, 2010

Where are the photos!?

I know...you're all thinking: "hey, you had a birthday boy this weekend, where are all the photos?" They are in photo purgatory thats where. A couple of weeks ago I dropped my card reader and it shattered to a thousand pieces. Luckily I'm tech-savvy enough that I was able to put the pieces successfully back together. The only bad thing is that every time I insert a memory card I have to sort of break the reader in half, insert the card and put the reader back together around the card. Its worked and its kept me from having to make a rushed trip to the store to buy a new one. I knew that I needed to buy a new one ASAP, but I was putting it off until this week when the birthday and anniversary hoopla was over.

I took a thousand photos over the weekend as you would expect. Yesterday we had a completely lazy day and I had planned to start sorting through photos and updating the blog and facebook. When I insert the card and reader into my computer I get an error message. Oh well, it finally bit the dust as was to be expected. I make a dash to Best Buy for a new reader at lunch time. $40 and 1 hour later I still have a card error on my screen. Then I start pouring myself into photo recovery software sites and reviews because I've realized now its not the reader, its my memory card. These things are common and can happen to anyone. If you do something as simple as turn your camera off too soon after taking a photo (while the camera is still writing the photo into its memory) it can corrupt your files. Luckily we live in an age where nothing digital is ever lost, but it may cost ya to get it back. I will soon be the not-so-proud owner of photo recovery software--which I hoped I would never need--unless my brainiac-software-writing-jack-of-all-trades-hubby can work some magic tonight and restore them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

I am so upset that this happened but I'm just thankful that it happened to me and not to a client's photos. Even though you can recover them its still a pain and it would mean a longer wait for a client. Ho hum.

I have lots of photos from the weekend that I can't wait to share!

1 comment:

  1. oh no! I just read this post in it's entirety. I thought you may just need a card reader, which I keep in the office at all times :)

    ReplyDelete