Monday, July 19, 2010

Radical by David Platt

I have just started reading "Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream" by David Platt. If you click the link on David's name that will give you a little bio on who David is. In a very big nutshell he is the pastor of The Church at Brook Hills where Lantis and I have been attending church.

David is a pastor that truly lights a fire under you. This church is doing UH-MAZING things right now!! Their global disciple ship is rocking. There are families who live in Greystone, Inverness, Homewood and similar areas who are selling their homes and moving to inner city areas to infiltrate those communities and spread the Word. There are just under 200 families who have signed up to be foster families in Shelby County. There are almost as many who are signing up to be adoptive parents. What an incredible commitment!! Theirs are stories that give you chills.

I'm reading along last night and here are some excerpts that had my name written all over them:

"...yet in the American dream, where self reigns as king (or queen), we have a dangerous tendency to misunderstand, minimize, and even manipulate the gospel in order to accommodate our assumptions and our desires. As a result, we desperately need to explore how much of our understanding of the gospel is American and how much is biblical."

There are a million passages in this book that I am dying to share and I'm not even half way through it. I'm just going to tell you to read it yourselves. This book is so appropriately named. It really is radical and it should really stir your soul. While reading this book, my toes have been stepped on a thousand times and I've been shamed more than once.

This is the promo for the book that should at least get your attention and in the next post there is another--slightly less intimidating promo. :) But you know me: I like to go straight for the jugular!


No comments:

Post a Comment