Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Time Out

I have been a busy bee. We had a good weekend. We had a couples' shower for our friends Zac and Alicia. I took some maternity pics of Alicia which you can see here. I had another session on Sunday with an adorable family that I have not quite finished editing, but will hopefully have finished tonight.

Yesterday I decided to take some time out. I've been running constantly like a crazy woman since the beginning of March--probably before. Literally running. Half the time I only know what day it is because I have such a rigorous schedule to follow. My schedule is insane. I know you have all heard me drone on about it before but I'm serious. Full time job+two year old+small business+mommy chores+wife duties+house+more+more+more=a very tired me. Very. I honestly think my life would give some folks a heart attack and it may get me yet.

Don't get me wrong: I don't exactly succeed in all these areas which keep me running ragged. There have been weeks gone by that we had no groceries. Like NO groceries because I didn't have time to go to the grocery store. Those were the times when our freezer was being cleaned out. You know how you make the mistake of going in the grocery store hungry and you purchase bizarre things that you would typically not eat? Well, those kinds of crazy things were being put to good use during those no-groceries weeks. I started feeling bad when I found my husband eating pop corn for dinner and my not quite two year old was having to try peanut butter sandwiches for the first time because that's literally all I had to offer him. When all I had to choose from for dinner one night was Ritz crackers and salsa I knew I had to put some things on hold and go to the store. In light of all this I think I'm going to invent a grocery shopping service for the Birmingham area. I seriously would have paid someone at that time. Kidding. Kind of.

I think I need to hire a maid too. I'm incredibly OCD and Lantis swears that regardless of what I think that our house is the cleanest house on the block. Its not. I see every spec of dust on the furniture, every baseboard that needs to be wiped down, the dog and Hudson prints on the windows and glass doors, and every piece of trash on the floors. It would be one less thing to worry about if we had a maid service, but we're too cheap for that. Plus I think there's something rewarding and therapeutic about scrubbing toilets and changing sheets.

So back to my original thought: its time for a time out. Yesterday when I picked Hudson up from school I made a very spur of the moment decision to go to the zoo. We got there and found out that Tuesdays are half off admission so I was excited about that! We had a great time! Just Hudson and me and the animals. He loved the zoo. This was really his first trip. We went to boo at the zoo, but its dark and not about the animals. The first thing we did was ride the train. Hudson LOVES trains. I means LOVES. He sat perfectly still the entire time and watched the scenery and animals go by. He probably would have pitched a fit to keep riding, but I promised a coke, monkeys and candy when we got off. His favorite thing next to the train was probably the monkeys. He was fascinated by them. They put on a show for us too. He loved the zoo so much that I'm thinking about buying a membership so that we can enjoy it the rest of the year. They have a lot of events this summer. Next weekend the butterfly encounter opens up. I can't wait to take him to see the butterflies! Here are a few pics of our date yesterday.


These would have been cute photos if a bee hadn't been flying around me and a giant ugly vulture flapping around in the cage beside us. Hudson was a little freaked out here. I had great light and a cute little setting, but not a willing subject. He wouldn't even think about looking at my camera because he was so worried about the bee and bird! Oh well, we'll go back and try again!


I loved the old truck. Too bad a couldn't get a decent shot thanks to mother nature and her critters surrounding us.


This is when he saw the bee and started freaking out. His face cracks me up! It was just a wood bee and it had no intention of stinging me, but try explaining that to a two year old.


I had trouble uploading pics today for some reason so you can see all the photos from our zoo trip HERE. We had a blast and I'm so glad I took a time out to enjoy my Hudson. There's nothing more delightful than to watch your child having fun and learning. I plan to do this much more often than I have been. There's nothing more important than the time I spend with him. He's growing up so fast. I am going to take many more time outs to soak him up. If not, I know I will look back and wish I had. I already have several fun things lined up for us in the coming weeks.

Lantis and I are taking a time out with some friends this weekend. We are attending a fun semi-annual event. We weren't able to go to the party last fall, so it's been a full year since we've hung out with these folks. We are really looking forward to it. It involves the lake, NASCAR drivers, and our boat. It doesn't get any better. I'll blog about that next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment